Monday, April 16, 2012

PINTEREST, SCHMINTEREST!

Day 16 of the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge and I'm supposed to create a Pinterest board for my health focus. My instructions: Pin three things and write about them. Here's the thing: I don't do Pinterest. I cannot handle another online thing. Really, I can't. And oh I have tried.

I signed up for Pinterest after being invited (puleese) a couple months ago; poked around and said the same thing about Pinterest as I did about Facebook: Now this is a time vacuum! As in, it's gonna suck all the free time right outta me. I did eventually succumb to Facebook but never got around to pining for Pinterest. And I don't tweet either. Signed up for Twitter several years ago (so ahead of my time!) but didn't get it and don't own a smart phone and I'm pretty sure that means no tweeting. (Yes, I am part cavewoman.) So I'm gonna go all old-school on you and just post three things I like a lot.


#1 IS DENTAL WORK SAFE DURING CANCER TREATMENT? As in, should you postpone getting your teeth cleaned or having dental work done until after chemo or radiation or surgery? I found a great article by Robyn Stoller that answers these questions. Read "Dental Care and Cancer" on the awesome Cancer Support Community blog. They do great work. Check them out, spread the word.

#2 SISTERS NETWORK INC Did you know that the breast cancer mortality rate among Black women is a whopping 36% higher than for white women? Neither did I — until I discovered this wonderful nonprofit resource called  Sisters Network Inc. (SNI). It's the only national organization for African American breast cancer survivors in the U.S. They have more than 40 chapters across 22 states. SNI provides a variety of services such as free mammograms, information and support via their Breast Cancer Assistance Program (BCAP). SNI also created Stop the Silence® Walk, now in its third year, as well as Sister House — a sanctuary for breast cancer patients (and their families) who are receiving treatment at Texas Medical Center in Houston. They do great work. Check them out, spread the word.


 #3 If you are not yet registered with the Army of Women, I encourage you to do so now. It's quick, it's easy, it's free. Become an active part of the solution by participating directly in research that will move us closer to (and beyond) a cure. Sign up here. They do great work. Check them out, spread the word.

(Copyright © anonymous)
 #4 You are right, I am only supposed to list three ... but I can't help myself. I wish I could recall where I found this ingenious little illustration. It so perfectly depicts the solution to all of life's many challenges. Don't you love it?


10 comments:

  1. Pinterest is another fun time suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am off social media for 30 days, something I thought I wasn't going to be able to handle, I am handling it and I am blogging more. Also getting my house organized, which is great. I just wanted to tell you I really enjoy your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Caroline: I hear people swooning over Pinterest. Perhaps I am afraid to fall in love!

    @Launna: Good for you for going cold turkey on the social media. I'm jelly! I know I would get more done If. Only. I. Could. Step. Away. From. The. Computer.
    PS Thank you for reading and enjoying the blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renn, I know what you mean about the tech-crazy society in which we live. I have a dumb phone, too, and never really got the point of the microblogging "tweet" thing.

    But now that you are registered for Pinterest, what fabulous images you have chosen! And I love the dialog that goes with each one. I really learned from the dental treatment one. And the last one about the cycle of worrying is classic! I can see why you had to choose four. Way to go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a total addict when it comes to social media so I have great admiration for those who can say enough is enough! Like you say..it is a huge time vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to locate the source of Then Don't Worry! That's one bitchin' flow chart! I'm on Pinterest and I can't keep up. I can't keep up with Facebook either. Twitter? A whole OTHER STORY.... that is some addictive stuff..... My blog? That's my baby..... but you already knew that..... Is it trite to say I'm proud of you... and Marie and Jan and everyone else who stuck with the WEGO Challenge. I'm a "drop out" ..... Love all of your posts. You always make me smile....

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you made the 4th point since it is the best one! :-) You have positively made my day.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jan... I actually didn't use Pinterest for this. Just found stuff "the old-fashioned" way! ;-)

    @Marie: If I understood more of it, maybe I would like it more. Part of the time factor is the learning curve! I'm barely technical enough to keep my blog going! LOL! Congrats on your new biz, BTW!

    @AM: I know you dig Twitter, I'll have to ask you how to do it sometime. Not ready yet! ;-)

    @Cynthia: Happy to have made your day! Every time I see that "chart" it makes me feel relaxed! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your #4 about stop worrying, or don't worry. I need to share this with our Dad.

    I like Pinterest so much more than Facebook. I must admit, I hate Facebook. I like most other things more than Facebook. I do TWEET a lot. Only one of my followers is a friend from high school! More anonymous there, for the most part.
    Loved reading this.
    I need to look into the Army of Women.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Rachel: I wish I knew who created that Don't Worry chart so I could give them credit. It is genius! I guess I should give Pinterest another try. (Maybe after the WEGO Health Challenge is over.) Thanks for stopping by and definitely sign up for the Army of Women! (They need women with *and* without breast cancer.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are encouraging — and encouraged!