Monday, August 27, 2012

CELEBRATING THE ORDINARY: Day 2

Nothing is ever quite as it seems.

(copyright 2012 TheBigCandMe)
I went outside this afternoon to take a photo of our Crepe Myrtle tree (I'm taking part in a one-week blogging challenge that was started by Marie over at Journeying Beyond Breast Cancer). The abundant blossoms don't last very long, and they are so pretty, so pink. They never fail to make me smile each summer.

So I got up under a tree branch and positioned my camera just so, in order to get a glimpse of the vibrant pink blooms against the bright blue sky.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this little face peering back at me from behind the lens.

Sometimes the obvious is right smack in front of us, but we can't see it because we're too busy looking for the pretty.

A perfect metaphor for life, don't you think?

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes, a perfect metaphor indeed. I love the vibrant pink of this tree - I have never heard of it before, let alone seen it. Remind me again, where you are from Renn? Reminds me a little of our spring time cherry blossom. Looking forward to tomorrow's contribution already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love crepe myrtles. They grow beautifully in northern California, even in the foothills where we get snow. Your metaphor is indeed perfect. So glad you have joined the challenge, Renn! It's so fun. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic metaphor. The picture is so vibrant and beautiful. And I love the visitor looking out from the blooms! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renn,
    I just love crepe myrtles. Here in South Texas, they bloom over half the year. What cha' want to bet the grasshopper was as surprised to see you as you were to see him? Great photo!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it - so true...and such a great photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Renn,
    Awesome! I think that is a praying mantis! If so, what a wonderful visitor to have in your garden. I will remember your metaphor as I go through my day!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh... I love the metaphor, too.. and I LOVE the picture. Little guy looks like he was posing! I'm sensing a bit of "sync'ing" going on and I'm assigning you with Lori (@regrounding) and me. I was on flower patrol and had a bee fly in.... Lori was all about the bees.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone! I have replied twice and my comments aren't taking, not sure what's up with that, but THANK YOU for stopping by! I am loving this "ordinary" photo challenge that Marie has started! ;-)

    @AnneMarie, syncing indeed... see what I posted for today (before I even saw your comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great shot (that's why you're my photo-idol!) xoxo m

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to bury my head in blossoms with my camera and I am sure that I would have shrieked and dropped the camera if a MONSTER stared back at me! Your ordinary courage got you through that HORROR.

    Seriously, I appreciate your insight; we never know what treasure is right under our noses.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are encouraging — and encouraged!