|(Copyright © 2012 The Big C and Me)|
SIMPLE ZUCCHINI SPICE CAKE
Makes 1 loaf
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil (you can use olive, but not extra virgin)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 zucchini or squash, grated (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup lightly toasted whole walnuts (of desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan.
2. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs; set aside.
3. Now sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; add to sugar/egg/oil mixture and beat well. Fold in grated zucchini.
4. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Gently press whole, toasted walnuts into top of batter. Bake 40-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pan. Great with a smear of cream cheese.
PS: Just double the recipe to make two loaves.