Tuesday, August 28, 2012

CELEBRATING THE ORDINARY: Day 3


It is Day 3 of Marie's Challenge.

I haven't been hiking in several weeks because it's just been too damn hot. But this morning, I brave the sun and head out early — with an umbrella. (Something I have never done before.) A biker passes me and asks if I am expecting rain, which is pretty funny since I live in a desert-like climate and we won't see rain in these parts for several more months. (Certainly not like the rain Isaac is about to usher in to the Southeast U.S.). I simply reply that I am ever hopeful.

(Copyright © 2012 The Big C and Me)
Just as I am ever hopeful about seeing flora and wildlife when I go hiking. And today I was not disappointed. I came upon a few sunflowers — the last vestiges of summer in an otherwise stark and arid landscape. I move in closer for a better shot, and am surprised (just as I was yesterday) by the tiny creature I find ... this one hard at work (dare I say it?) busy as a little bee.

I continue hiking for another 20 minutes, then turn around. (Too hot.) As I round one of the final bends, BAM! There they are: A family of deer crossing the trail directly in front of me. (I love when this happens and have written about this before here, but they are always such a treat to see!) I count six of them as they make their way gingerly down the steep hill, across the dusty trail and down into the forested gully. My little camera doesn't zoom so well, but you can make out four of them before they disappear into the thick, dry brush:

(Copyright © 2012 The Big C and Me)
At the top of the ridge, I take a moment to look out over the landscape of this place that I know and love (and have written about before). Next week, I head into my sixth (count 'um, 6!) surgery, the one I have been looking forward to since this breast cancer journey began, the prize at the end of the struggle. Though my path hit several snags (whose hasn't?) and my surgery was shelved for a year while my body took its time healing, the day is finally arriving. A full 19 months and two days after my bilateral mastectomy, I will have my tissue expanders finally removed and exchanged for implants. My left expander has been in since February 2011; my right since December 2011. That is a long time in the life of a tissue expander.

(Copyright © 2012 The Big C and Me)
The loss of freedom is indescribable, so hell yeah, I can't wait to experience the "feeling" of having implants. And getting a semblance of my former self back. Though my chest will forever be a "no feeling" zone, at least I can rid myself of the unpleasant sensation of carrying around bricks. (And you ladies who have been through this know what I am talking about.) The sensation is akin to wearing a very tight bra that is holding, well, bricks, that you can never take off. Ever.

For now, I take my hike and drink in the view so that I have a pretty mental picture in my head before my friendly anesthesiologist sends me off to slumberland next week.

This is me this morning, all Mary Poppins-like.

Just another ordinary day.


10 comments:

  1. O MY GOSH! Will post a link to my blog that will go up just before midnight when it's done. It's being written right now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait! The syncing continues...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Renn! I almost posted today about my Table Mountain hiking experience, but instead chose a different topic. I just love your photos and how you tie them in to your surgery. I wish you the best in getting the final procedure completed. Focusing on peaceful images from nature is so important as you prepare for your operation. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe Renn, I loved this post<3 I am such a city girl but I do love the opportunity to see wild life just out of nowhere when I am visiting friends in the valley.

    Good luck with your surgery, I will send out positive thoughts that it will go really wonderful for you:)

    Lovely post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Renn! I'm SOOOO curious about what we're all posting tomorrow. Such a beautiful post...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This exercise has turned into such an amazing synchronistic event! SO cool! Thanks, everybody. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hiking scenery is simply marvellous. I love sunflowers, and this picture does not disappoint. I love all the pictures and your wonderful descriptions. Congrats on getting to this surgery milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this post is amazing....i love how it all came back to mary poppins and it was not at all expected....and mary poppins has such wonderful meaning for me.....this is such a great post. xoxoxo m

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, touching, and moving -- all the things I've come to expect from your posts! I love the family of deer. So sweet, and I love the idea of sharing space with such elegant creatures. Good luck next week. So glad you're reaching another milestone on this crazy "journey."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous post and fabulous photos. Good for you for taking that hike. I love it whenever I get a chance to experience seeing wild life up close.
    We have tons of deer here in Wisconsin and sometimes they venture right into our yard.

    And now I see your surgery is next week! More good wishes coming your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are encouraging — and encouraged!